Monday, October 1, 2012

The Feast of St. Therese!

Today was a day of great joy- the feast day of my patroness and dear friend, St. Therese of Lisieux.  This was, perhaps, the best day I've had in Africa thus far.  I need to highlight some of today's sweetest blessings in order to thank The Little Flower for her most generous intercession.

--- I found a new and great contentment in the classes I taught today.  I may grow fond of this new ministry!

--- At school this morning a student jumped off a desk and sliced his head open.  I know how sadistic this may sound, as listed among my day's blessings.  ...But I got to be a nurse!  I've missed nursing so much!  It was a rush to clean and dress his wound, and then send him off to the hospital for a few stitches.  I was smiling while taking care of him; it's kind of cruel that I experienced any small amount of joy in this poor child's suffering.  I was glad to be present in his moment of need and to have been able to help him.  I pray for his quick recovery!  

--- This afternoon Cait and I taught a song to the 6th grade class, one that we'd learned in Juba during our stay.  The words are: "Jesus, Jesus, Jesus, I love you.  I want to love you, Jesus;  I love you," repeated a few times.  You can't imagine how much of their hearts these children poured out into singing this song.  We had so much fun!  It was absolutely the highlight of the day.  Never did I ever imagine standing in front of any group of individuals, singing a solo to teach lyrics, and feeling completely comfortable.  I guess African culture will do that do you- if you have a voice, you use to praise God, plain and simple.  I expected to spend 10 minutes in the class, but the entire 40 minute period was over before I had realized what happened.  We were singing so loud to the guitar and dancing so crazily that by the end of the period half of the school was standing in the doorways and windows, listening and singing too.  Perfect joy.

--- With a mild amount of success, I made chocolate chip cookies on the stove today.  We don't have a oven, and I needed to satisfy my desire to bake.  The priests liked them!

--- Cait and I taught our new friends the hand-game, Miss Mary Mac, and then played about 1000 rounds with all of the girls, over and over again!  We had so much fun.

--- The girls requested me to play football (soccer) with them, and I played a full game, and really enjoyed it!  It's the little things.

--- It rained all during Oratory this evening. After the girls' football game ended, I sat down under some cover and watched the boys' game.  As the rain poured down upon them while they played, I recalled St. Therese's promise that after her death, she would continue her mission on earth by showering little flowers upon the world.  Today, on her feast day, I could put tangible reality to the floods of spiritual showers Therese was pouring into our hearts.  

--- Salesian tradition includes a daily "Good Night" talk, a short message given to the children at the end of the day.  With only a few minutes notice, I was asked by Br. Peter to offer a few words to the group tonight.  What a way to end the day, by sharing a little bit about my girlfriend Therese and her Little Way of Love.  

The day was simple, nothing extraordinary happened, but throughout each small moment I was overwhelmed with love.  How appropriate- this is exactly how St. Therese teaches us to live.  If you haven't already, especially in light of the feast we celebrate today, I'd encourage you to read the tab I've posted at the top of this blog, The Little Flower.  It talks in a bit more detail about who St. Therese was and gives an explanation for the namesake of this blog.  I'd also encourage you to ask for her prayers today as we grow evermore in the virtue of Love.  Therese is an amazing role model for us all.  St. Therese of Lisieux, Little Flower, pray for us all.


"Let us Love, 
since that is all our hearts were made for."
-Therese

1 comment:

  1. Happy belated feast day, Grace! Thank you for sharing and glad to hear that your nursing skills are being put to use in the classroom :-)!

    ReplyDelete